Saturday, July 18, 2015

BENEFITS OF MEDITATION



WHEN I FIRST STARTED MEDITATION I LEARNED TO MEDITATE FOR JUST TEN MINUTES OF TIME TWICE A DAY. THIS WAS GRADUALLY INCREASED TO TWENTY MINUTES TWICE A DAY AND THEN THIRTY MINUTES TWICE A DAY. I FOUND IT VERY BENEFICIAL AS I HAD A HIGH STRESS JOB WHERE I WAS RACING AGAINST THE CLOCK ALL DAY. IT HELPED ME RETURN TO MY NATURAL STATE OF BEING CONTENT, PEACEFUL AND CALM.

Since I have retired I have been able to pursue my passion for meditation for longer periods of time, sometimes for hours on end or even days. I like to meditate on the front porch and look out over the garden. I observe the clouds, plants and also the birds as they come and go. I listen to the waves crashing in the distance and the sound of the wind through the trees. I feel the warmth of the sun and the cool crisp air as I breath it in.

I observe my thoughts flow through my consciousness like fish swimming in a stream. My thoughts appear from nowhere, pass through my mind and disappear. As time passes fewer and fewer thoughts pass through my mind and I focus on what my other senses are communicating to me. It is a feeling of bliss and peace I can return to over and over. I am “at home” in the meditative state.

I sit when I meditate but I also like to walk by the beach and through the park. When I walk I simply observe the beauty of nature. It is like a film passing before my eyes. I can choose to focus on anything I like. By tuning out my thoughts and simply focusing on what I see, I feel at one with nature. I am living in the here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment